Min menu


Latest News [LastPost]

Guterres calls for full respect for the ceasefire between the Palestinians and Israel

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for full respect for the ceasefire in the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel that was agreed upon on May 20, expressing concern over the latest wave of violence between the two sides.

According to the United Nations Information Center, today, Thursday, UN Deputy Spokesman Farhan Haq said, “With regard to the recent escalation in the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel, the Secretary-General would like to see that the cessation of hostilities has been maintained and consolidated, in order to give space to the parties. relevant to making arrangements to stabilize the situation.

Farhan Haq indicated that the United Nations Special Coordinator for the Peace Process, Tor Wencesland, continues his diplomatic engagement with all parties towards achieving this goal.

Tor Wencesland, the Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, had indicated in a tweet on his Twitter account on June 14 that "tensions are rising again in Jerusalem" at a very fragile security and political time, as the United Nations and Egypt are actively participating in establishing a cessation shooting. "I urge all parties involved to act responsibly and avoid any provocations that might lead to another round of confrontation," he said.

The organization's media center stated that news reports indicated that Israeli planes bombed sites in the Gaza Strip yesterday, Wednesday, which it said was a response to the launching of "incendiary balloons" from Gaza towards Israel, as the city of Jerusalem witnessed tension during the organization of the so-called flags march in which hundreds of right-wingers participated. In East Jerusalem, in a move that the Palestinians considered provocative.

The tension and violence in Jerusalem last month contributed to the escalation of the situation between the Gaza Strip and Israel, which sparked a crisis that lasted 11 days, before announcing a truce between the two parties.