Min menu


Latest News [LastPost]

Suna: The Sudanese army hands over the results of the investigation into the killing of protesters to the judiciary

Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan Abdel-Rahman, Chairman of the Sudanese Transitional Sovereignty Council, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, handed over the results of the investigation committee into the events of last Tuesday to Ali Al-Habr, Attorney General of the Republic of Sudan, at the guest house in Khartoum and in the presence of Mohamed El Faki Suleiman, member of the Transitional Sovereignty Council, And the Minister of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers, the Minister of Defense, Taha Othman, the representative of the Forces of Freedom and Change, in the presence of the Director of the Military Judiciary Department, according to the Sudanese News Agency SUNA.

Two people were killed and dozens were injured on Tuesday, when the security forces forcibly dispersed a gathering marking the second anniversary of the dispersal of the long sit-in, which in 2019 was demanding first the departure of former President Omar al-Bashir and then handing over power to civilians.

The Sudanese army said in a statement Tuesday that "unfortunate events resulted in the death of two people and the injury of others," indicating that an investigation had been opened. He affirmed his "full readiness" to present "any person who is found guilty of involvement in the judiciary."

Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok expressed his "shock" at the fall of the two dead, denouncing "the crime of using live bullets against peaceful demonstrators."

The results included "a list of those suspected of involvement in the events with the lifting of their immunity, which authorized the initiation of legal procedures by the Public Prosecution to reach the final results, to confirm transparency and preserve rights, and to ensure the safety, security and reassurance of citizens," according to the army statement.

The sit-in was organized in 2019 to demand the departure of Al-Bashir, who ruled the country for three decades, and was overthrown in April 2019. It lasted for several weeks after the fall of Al-Bashir, to demand the military hand over power to civilians.

In June 2019, people in military uniform dispersed the sit-in in a campaign that lasted for several days and left at least 128 people dead, according to the Central Sudan Doctors Committee, which formed a lever for the protest movement.

The military council, which was in power at the time, denied that it had given instructions to disperse the sit-in, and ordered an investigation to be opened to uncover the circumstances of what had happened.

Since August 2019, Sudan has been governed by a civilian-majority transitional authority that has vowed to hold accountable those responsible for forcibly dispersing the sit-in.

At the end of the same year, a human rights committee run by a prominent lawyer launched an independent investigation, which is still ongoing, into the killing of protesters.